There is growing support for abolishing capital punishment in India and it needs serious consideration since, on the other side, there has been a nationwide outrage over the series of incidents of sexual assaults of minor girls, like the one in Kathua. The Supreme Court itself admitted on many occasions that there are confusion and contradiction on the application of the death penalty.
This article explains the following in an analytical manner with a mindmap for quick revision:
- What is capital punishment?
- What is the need for capital punishment?
- What are the arguments in favour?
- What are the arguments against?
- What is the evolution of the death penalty in India?
- Why India still retains it?
- What are the protections against capital punishment in the constitution?
- [Premium] RTE (Amendment) Act, 2019: No-Detention Controversy - June 18, 2019
- [Updated] Draft National Education Policy 2019 – Three Language Controversy - June 17, 2019
- [Updated] [Premium] India-Maldives Relations: Complete Analysis - June 14, 2019
About the Author